Friday, October 5, 2018

fear of the long arm of Beijing

1-17-18    “It’s like they are holding my parents hostage there, so that I can’t say things,”
Shawn Zhang told me.  “It is not just Chinese, but many non-Chinese are under this censorship.  People in Canada and the United States have to censor their own statements if they want to get business inside China, so they don’t say anything.  They surrender to censorship….In Canada, in general, most Chinese students are not willing to express any opinion about China or to talk about China.  Even my Taiwanese friends are worried about getting in trouble with the Chinese government – they have friends and family, and they don’t want to express opinions.  The situation is very disturbing,” Zhang told me.   https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/glavin-how-chinas-dictatorship-reached-a-student-in-vancouver

No comments:

Post a Comment