Saturday, January 23, 2021

speech by Di Dongsheng, Secretary of Center for Foreign Strategic Studies of China

 speech by

  Di Dongsheng, Vice Dean of School of International Relations, Renmin University of China, Vice Director and Secretary of Center for Foreign Strategic Studies of China on Nov. 28, 2020 in Shanghai, China.  

at 4:06 of video:        It’s just because we have people at the  top, at the top of America’s core inner circle of power and influence, we have our old friends.  As we don’t have much time so I won’t go into details hereso I’ll only tell a little story.  Mayor Zhang just told some stories, it worked very well.  Oops, it’s a shame that this story…We are doing a live broadcast on the whole internet today, it is said that a million people are watching it, so I have to control how much I can tell.  I can’t betray others.  Let’s put it this way, in 2015 before the last visit of General Secretary Xi to the US we know that all our systems in the US needed to work at warming things up, right?     

  So one of our Party’s systems, the way that system could help warm things up in the US. was public opinion….Before Xi visited the US we would hold a book release event to help him build up momentum.  Who should do it?  Just like today they found out—“Di Dongsheng, you have a way with foreigners and are better at fooling them, right?”  They had seen how I fooled foreigners and they thought it was very good, so they said “You act as the host and guest speaker,” so it’s very similar to our event today where I’m both the host and a guest speaker.     So the venue for this event was already decided by the leader.  He said it was next week.  Go to the most important politics and prose bookstore in the US on 2650 Connecticut Avenue in Washington.  It seems like the number, that is a professional bookstore.  We all know that East and West work in different ways.  You asked me to secure that venue on such short notice, it was tough.  It turned out that the bookstore owner was very spoiled,he said sorry we cannot help you.  Then I asked, I said you tell me, which author booked this session?  What did I mean by that?  There’s nothing that dollars can’t handle, right? (bit of laughter) If I can’t do it with one stack of dollars, I’ll do it with two. (more laughter) Of course that’s my way of doing things.  But alas the bookstore owner was very spoiled and said I’m not going to tell you which author has booked this time slot, we have our principles.”  So he was very spoiled, he put on airs with me.

   So I asked around and found out he was a Democrat and was once a journalist in Asia.  He was very unhappy with our Party so he purposely chose not to cooperate.  So I thought we had lost the chance, at least we needed to change the time and place, right?  So I turned this issue over to the leaders, let the leadership solve it.  I was only a guest to help, right?  On Thursday morning the vice-department head who was also the real keynote speaker of that day called me and said “Little Di, let’s go ahead with our plan, at the same time and place as we planned.  After lunch I rushed to the bookstore only to find that the leadership was there before me.  The reason why we were able to follow our original plan, to execute it smoothly is because of this outstanding person.  Then he introduced an old lady to me, she has a big nose, I could tell that she was Jewish by the first glimpse.  She handed me a business card, saying my name is so-and-so.  I won’t betray her name here.  "My name is so-and-so."  

  Attention!  She speaks very fluent Mandarin with Beijing dialect.  I was very surprised, I said “O, my, you speak Chinese even better than I do.  I can never get rid of my Jiangsu accent."  Upon hearing that I flattered her, she was very pleased with herself.  She said, “Let me tell you, not only do I speak Chinese, I have Chinese citizenship.”  Do you understand this?  Do you have foreign citizenship?  Then you can’t have Chinese citizenship.  This old lady wouldn’t give up her dual US-Israeli citizenship for Chinese citizenship, right?  So I immediately understood that she was an old friend of the Chinese people.  She then said another sentence that impressed me very much.  “I also have Beijing Hukou (registered permanent residence).” (laughter)  “I have a Siheyuan on  Chang’an Street in Dongcheng 

District.  When you come back to Beijing come and have tea with me.  If you need anything here this year, don’t forget to call me.”  What did that mean?  She could fix anything here. (laughter) 

  Then I saw the bookstore owner who was very proud of himself before, with an unhappy face asking his employees to arrange tables and chairs.  He was very reluctant as he was forced to do this.  I said “How did you fix him?  We tried to communicate with him but failed.  He was very spoiled.”  The old lady smiled and said “I reasoned with him.”  Why did she live in China for 30 years?  As we just said, Wall Street.  She is from a famous leading global finance institution on Wall Street.  She is the president of the Asia region of a top-level financial institution.  Of course it would be politically incorrect for me to go on.  Do you understand what I mean?  If you do, put your hands together! (ovation)  

  Okay so in fact that is to say, to put it bluntly, for the past 30-40 years we have been utilizing the core power of the United States.  As I said before, since the 1970s Wall Street had a very strong influence of the domestic and foreign affairs of the US.  So we had a channel to rely on.

[translation by J. Zeng]

https://www.jenniferzengblog.com/home/opening-up-financial-sector-as-goodwill-to-biden-as-we-cant-fix-trump-via-wall-street

No comments:

Post a Comment